How much does it cost to go to college? The answer is.......it depends! There are many different types of colleges, public and private, two year and four year, and the cost of attending any one of them depends on a lot of factors.
You can, however, get a good idea of the total cost by looking at common college costs:
- Tuition & fees: May vary based on your academic program and the number of credit hours you take each term.
- Books & supplies: Your course materials.
- Room & board: If you live and eat your meals on campus, the college bills you for these expenses. The charges vary depending on the room and meal plan you choose. If you plan to live at home or off campus, estimate these expenses.
- Transportation: Whether you live on campus or commute from home, there are costs associated with how you get to and from your college – by bus, train, plane, car or whatever your mode of travel.
- Various personal expenses: Laundry, cell phone service, cable television, disability and health related costs should be considered. Keep track of your personal expenses with this budget calculator as they can add up quickly.
- Extra program expenses: For study abroad, cooperative education programs, laboratory or other program fees and academic expenses.